DOES FOOTBALL OR SOCCER NEED VIDEO REPLAYS?



This book is one of the most unique books you ever read; rather than using words or phrases as titles of chapters as it is in almost every book you may have read; the titles of chapters of this book are actually sentences. Yes, each chapter title is a sentence – they are sentences made by fictional commentators in four of the more popular football or soccer leagues in the world. Each title-sentence covers a specific Referee decision in football. Chapter one is titled with a sentence that covers the award of a penalty to a player who dives in the penalty box. Chapter two has a sentence-title that exemplifies a commentator’s reaction when a fine goal is disallowed. The title of chapter 3, deals with the issue of an unwarranted second yellow card to a player whilst the title of chapter four, is a sentence that exemplifies a commentator’s lamentation when a player is unjustly sent off. Finally, chapter five carries in its title, a sentence of a commentator describing the worst decision he has ever seen in three decades of football commentary while calling for football authorities to consider the introduction of video technology to aid Referees.
In chapter one, I set out to make my first case for video replays with an incident that happened in a World Cup knockout match in 2006; but before I bring on the case, I lay some foundations – I needed to let the reader know why I watched that World Cup match which was the match that gave birth to my desire to see video replays for Referees; but to put things in proper perspective, I tell the story of my origins as a football fan. Thus, the book begins with me in tears, real tears. I started to try to explain to the reader why I was so heartbroken, but then I realized that to give a basis for the tears, I needed to tell about how I became a football fan as a little boy. Once that was done, I went back to the beginning and explained the tears and after the reader had come to terms with the tears that began the book, I moved to use that information as the reason why I had watched the match which eventually made me begin my crusade for the introduction of video replays for Referees. With all those stones set in place, I delicately and coherently push in my first case for replays – a Germany 2006 World Cup incident. I interject my cases with spicy little details and delicious matter from football stories to keep my readers entertained as I move towards my argument for video technology. All through this book, I tell a lot of football stories, stories that help drive home the point that football is truly the beautiful game, a fact highlighted in the title of this book.
In chapter two, I make a strong case for video technology for Referees when they need to be super sure whether to allow or disallow a goal; while in chapter three, I make the case for officials to see video replays before confirming a second yellow card. Chapter four carries the case for video replays to be viewed before a player is sent off and chapter five puts the cap on top. Each chapter of this book, besides the fifth chapter, ends with what I have tagged, Tactical Formation Truths, TFT’s. The TFT’s serve as summaries for the first four chapters



All through the book, you will see sentences that I have called Pearls; these pearls are food for thought to arouse the reader’s curiosity – they may or may not be connected to the paragraphs preceding or succeeding them. In chapter three, the reader will encounter what I have called Scenarios. These scenarios are fictional scenarios that help emphasize and re-emphasize the need for video replays for Referees. There are 22 scenarios in all, that number being a representation of 22 footballers on a football or soccer pitch.
In chapter five, I highlight 11 reasons why football is the beautiful game and I describe those reasons as The Beautiful Starting 11; and on the other face of the coin, I bring out 11 opponents of that team of beauty by generating an 11 man list of dirt in the game. Also in chapter five, I include an article that I wrote some months after goal-line technology was introduced and then I let readers see an open letter (fictional) from the Referees Association of the World to FIFA. In the letter, match officials plead for the approval of video technology to aid the accuracy of their job. I make my conclusions with a coherent argument of why I do not think that video replays should be used for every decision in a football or soccer match and I highlight why they should be used only for what I have described as: the Big 4 – the four most important decisions of the game: second yellow cards, red cards, penalty awards, and to confirm if a goal should be allowed or disallowed. I close with a poem which I hope that some football fan somewhere in the world, who is a gifted musician, will make into what I have called, the Squeeze Out Song and then I close with some classy words.



Table of Contents



PEARL 1 – MISTAKE

What is a mistake? Here is my idiosyncratic definition: A mistake means that you missed what you intended to take – you had two options, you knew that one was right and the other was wrong, you took option A and then you realized that you should have taken option B – you made a mistake. You missed what you were supposed to take; it’s a MISS-TAKE. And as humans we correct our mistakes immediately we discover them; but in the beautiful game, as innocent as Referees’ mistakes are, they do not have the opportunity of video replays to correct their MISS-TAKE. The Ref, his Assistant, the innocent player, the player’s team, the manager and the club, all get to live with the monumental consequences of the mistake. A good case in point is when a player dives in the penalty box but the Referee thought he was “fouled” The Ref gives the defender who “fouled” the diver a yellow or red card, and awards a penalty against the innocent player and his team; the diver stands up, scores the “penalty kick” and celebrates with his or her team mates while the innocent team mourns their losses. Now that is dirt!

PEARL 4 – TIME
Will the approval of video replays eat up too much time from the regulation time of 90 minutes? No it won’t. Rather than use up more time, video replays will actually save time. Have you ever watched a match where a controversial penalty decision was made by the Referee? About how many minutes did it take the affected team to launch a protest before the penalty kick was taken? You may not have done any estimates, but I have – it usually takes an average of 2 minutes before the protestations die down enough for the penalty kick to be taken, because; the affected team splits into two groups, one group protests to the Linesman or Referee’s Assistant and the other protests to the Referee. Many times after the Referee has been able to sparsely disperse the group around him, he usually lends a helping hand to his or her Assistant in dispersing the other group before giving out a yellow card or two to players who refuse to accept the “right” decision; and then the whistle is blown for the penalty to be taken. Yes, it takes about 2 minutes. Do you know how much time it would have taken the Referee to review a video replay if he was allowed to? The answer is a maximum of 20 seconds, and that is an overstatement.

PEARL 5 – REWARD THE GUILTY; PUNISH THE INNOCENT
A player can be brought down in the penalty box and be PUNISHED with a yellow card for “diving” while the offending player can be REWARDED with a free kick and one or two team mates of the player who had won a clear penalty can be PENALIZED with even more yellow cards for protesting the WRONG decision, and their team may lose that match as is often the case. It sounds like Tyranny but it happens in the beautiful game! Reward the guilty; punish the Innocent. Why does this happen? Your answer is as good as mine – Referees make those calls because they do not have the advantage of video replays.

PEARL 9 – ADMINISTRATIVE ABOMINATION
One player (the diver) commits the crime, another player (the defender) is punished for it; one team gets rewarded with a prize (the penalty) that they absolutely did not deserve, another team suffers the loss (points, money, and qualification) for a crime none of their players committed. I call it administrative abomination


PEARL 13 – THE GOLDEN BOOT

Two players run neck and neck for the golden boot in one of the world’s biggest leagues, at the end of the season, striker A had scored “30” goals while his rival for the golden boot, striker B, had scored 28. A video technology advocate reviews all goals scored by the two strikers and discovered that 4 of the goals scored by striker A were offside goals which match officials had missed. If there was video technology for Referees, striker A would have been credited with 26 goals and striker B would have won the golden boot with 28 goals. Sounds unfortunate right? Well unfortunately, these unfortunate losses happen in the beautiful game.  And the blame is neither that of player A nor B, nor is it that of the Ref; blame the rules.



Comments